Friday, November 8, 2013

Tuesday, 6August, 2013: Solo - Skyline to Watmough Bay

Weather:  Sunny and warm.  Winds:  N5-10 to zero.  Seas:  <1ft.

Most of the day was foggy in and around the Salish Sea.  RT got a week and a half to come north from Gig Harbor and made the trip in total fog, running on radar, finally breaking out on approach to Watmough.

I waited in Skyline for the fog to clear.  Around 1530, it cleared enough to depart.  Kelly was aboard long enough to assist with the ama extension and I dropped her off at the fuel dock.  With a 3kt current, I deployed the new screacher and was making 9kts out Burrows Pass!  Once out into Rosario Strait, initially made 7kts towards Watmough in steadily decreasing winds.  Slowly motored the last mile in while observing RT's entry and anchoring.

I've made comment about how skills deteriorate without use.  Mooring to Captain's Mast is no exception.  Required two approaches to accomplish.  First approach was gooned when I left the engine in reverse after stopping forward momentum.  Second approach was perfect!

This was a solo vacation for RT and me - no itinerary, just relax and play.  Beers were deployed and RT and I enjoyed the warmth of the sun reflecting off the cliffs around Watmough.

No comments:

Post a Comment