Friday, June 28, 2013

5May2012 Day Sail

Weather:  Warm-ish and sunny.  Winds:  Light and variable  Seas:  <1ft

After the last couple weeks working on Strider, installing solar panels etc, Kelly and I got out into Rosario Strait for a couple hours.  Experimented with a new spinnaker, attempting outside gybes, bringing the clew and sheets around the front of the boat, only to see the upwind sheet go under hulls.  Eventually the wind died and we motored back against a 3kt, super moon flood tide.  Slow going.

After last summer's experiences and winter reading, I decided a very light wind sail was required.  Winds in the PNW have a reputation of being too much or too little.  Most boats are prepared for heavy winds with reefs and/or heavier sails.  But not enough are prepared for light winds though.  Generally, in PNW light winds, sailboats are motoring.  As they say, become a powerboat with a very tall antenna!

I do not like to motor...it is a drone.  The local light winds were one of the reasons the light trimaran was purchased - it could move in light winds.  However, the stock sails, even the laminated screecher, needed augmenting.

I started searching for a spinnaker.  Found a huge, nearly new, 3/4oz one via Minney's Yacht Surplus from a Cal 36.  Best of all - it is maize!  Once delivered, I took it to my go to sewing fix it gal Margot, had the old numbers removed and a blue block M added.



"Why maize and blue?"  Well, I'm a Wolverine, a University of Michigan fan.  "But on a spinnaker?"  Well, it is visible.  "Yeah but..."  This goes back to a story my buddy RT tells, about an encounter with an Ohio fan here in the PNW.  Between the Buckeye and RT, there has been a bit of 'my flag is bigger' rivalry.  I'm just prepared and as RT said after seeing the spinnaker, "There is no doubt who you are!"

This was the first day attempting to use it.  Gybing was eventful, requiring me to retrieve a sheet from under the boat.  Since then, we've learned to do inside gybes, bringing the clew and sheets through the space between the spinnaker and the genoa.

I could not hear the guy, but he was on a nearby ferry yelling something at us.  I assume it was "Go Blue!"


No comments:

Post a Comment