Friday, October 18, 2013

Early November, 2012: Skyline to Friday Harbor

Weather:  Overcast and cool.  Winds:  Light and variable.  Seas:  Calm.

Sorry, not sure of the date....

Joe, now living in Alaska, came into town and I offered to take him out to San Juan Island so he could visit his siblings.  Predicted weather was to be rough:  Winds SE 20-25 with 2-3ft seas and rain.  Definitely out of my comfort zone and therefore, a challenge!  Kelly would not like it, but Joe would.

The weather did not materialize and we timed our entry through Cattle Pass at slack.  Something I did not know is Steller sea lions winter over in the San Juans and Cattle Pass is crowded with them, lounging on the rocks on the Whale and Mummy Rocks on the east side.

Motoring through the Pass, we were trailed by a sea lion for about 10min, about 15ft behind us.  I noticed him, I'm guessing a him as it was HUGE, when I kept hearing an exhalation.  I finally looked back and saw this brute.  He continued to follow us.  I wondered why.  Joe stated it might be because we almost ran over him.  Joe had seen him off the bow, but did not alter course.  I would not have also.  Could it have pissed it off?  After 10min, he had apparently had enough and departed after an awesome display.  Once again, this is a huge animal and only 15ft behind us.  As we watch, he submerged and then leapt completely out of the water, made a smooth entry back into the water and then immediately leapt back out of the water and another smooth entry and then we did not see it any more.  Really, really cool.

Friday Harbor was nearly empty and we did not need to fold for a slip.  Apparently we impress some other boaters in the marina with Strider's maneuverability, one asked if we had twin engines!

That evening, Joe and I had dinner at his sister's with one of his brothers.  After, I was dropped off at the boat while he went to his brother's for the night.  I had a pleasant night on the boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment